Tuesday, August 27, 2013

How I Balance College and Ballet?


So how do I balance being a full time college student and being a ballerina? Well that's a good question and the answer is I just learn to deal with it as it comes and take as much I can handle.

Since I just finished midterm week I thought I would share and maybe give a few tips that I do to help me balance my busy schedule. 

I am in my last year of college majoring in communication and media studies so I have a lot going on between my thesis (which is about ballet too if can't tell I'm obsessed with it) my major subjects which are production classes like news production, media ethics and new media. I also have the last basic subjects I'm required to take like french, history and my least favorite economics. My schedule is pretty good I did have a professor mess up and now I am stuck with one of my classes which was supposed to be on a Wednesday but was moved which interferes with ballet. I'll get into that in a minute. So I have Monday off which is a blessing because I hate Mondays. On Tuesdays I only have two classes which is an hour enough each so I get to go home early! But I hate Wednesdays and Fridays which is also a day they offer my level ballet class but I can't attend because I have classes from &:30 in the morning. Yes in the morning so I have to force myself out of bed at such an early hour. So I have 2 morning classes, lunch and after that a 3 hour class and then another one and a half hour class that will end at 6. I do have a 4 hour break though for lunch so that is okay and I can handle it. Fridays are supposed to be enjoyed and but I hate Fridays. I have my 7:30 class again and then another class till 10:30 and from there I dont have another class 'till 4:30 in the afternoon. I have 6 hours of doing nothing so I go to my aunt's house and pretty much stay there since it is close to campus instead of driving an hour home and then fighting the traffic going back and then going home again. It does have its perks because I can do homework, go to the mall since its close and more importunately catch up on my sleep. My aunt lets me sleep in the spare if I'm lucky my 2 year old niece doesn't wake me.So that is pretty much my weekly course scdule that is defienelty a pain especially when you know it is almost over.

So about that professor, I have a long break because I was supposed to have a class but the professor moved it to Saturday and I picked a afternoon class because I have my Saturdays full because of my internship and ballet so I had an ordeal of this but I got it sorted after going to our department chair and clearing it. My tip if you having an interfering schedule is just stay calm and try to deal with and if you need help don't be afraid to ask. I got it sorted and now I am not that worried about failing that class.

I don't technically work yet but I do have an internship that I am finishing up this year at the dance company I'm taking ballet at so it all works out I guess. I started in the summer and need to finish 400 hours as a requirement to graduate. I was supposed to be done with this but I got sick and had tonsillitis which I almost had to have surgery for. The doctor put me on a 3 week rest so that lost me hours which I couldn't get done. Now I am making up for it and they don't mind me there since it gives them help. I really want to work there when I graduate because dance is what I wanted to be my career anyways. So every Saturday I get in about 5-8 hours it depends on what time I get in after class and then how long I stay. My ballet class is counted so I get an hour after that. Right now I have about 150 hours left to complete.

Do I have a social life? Kind of. I don't go out with friends that much because I either am doing my work or I'm at dance but I do make time if I have to especially since we have such a long break in between classes.I'm not the kind of person who goes out much though. I love being at home cuddled in bed with my laptop or a good book so if I do have time I'll either be on my laptop or reading those are the two things I can't live without.

My Tips |

1. Stay calm if you are in a stressful situation
This will help because in the end it will work out if you let it.
2. Prioritize things you think are more important
If dance is more important than something that day then go ahead.
3. Stay organized and keep in mind time management
I have my iPhone to help me organize my schedule or a diary/agenda could help. I'm really good with managing my time so work on that if you have to.
4. Do school work in your spare time
I have a long break so I sneak in my assignments there so I don't have to worry about them when I get home.
5. Find time for personal activities
With everything going on everyone needs a break so find something you enjoy.
6. Try not to procrastinate
I know I am kind of guilty of this but it rmember to get it done so you have time for dance.
7. Get some help if you feel like you need it
Don't be that person who swamps themselves, if you need a hand don't be afraid to ask a friend or a family member.
8. Don't freak out over little things
Another thing I do way too often but I am learning that I don't have to be.
9. Set a goal and aim to accomplish it
Set up a set of goals for that week so you can get it all done and feel better about it.
10. Reward yourself once in a while
If you want something you've been eying then go for it we deserve something for our hard work!

So it is just a balancing act. Just like ballet you have to balance and to be able to go en pointe and right now my life is just like that. I hope you enjoyed getting a little glimpse of my personal life and the tips I shared. I hope I helped a little and you can do it to!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
| tumblr | twitter | instagram |
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!