Saturday, August 10, 2013

Dance Diary | 9th Week of Ballet

And today is my 9th week of dancing! How fast has it been? I can't really believe how time just goes by. Now what did I do this week?

I tried not letting last week get to me so I went in after my college class with my mom this time because she wanted to see me dance again I guess. She probably misses taking me to dance and still thinks I'm that little girl she always drove wearing a tutu and lugging around all those dance shoes. I hate to admit it but I missed how she sat there for hours waiting for me while I danced. It just feels so nostalgic and even though I'm just 20 she probably thinks I'm so grown up going to classes by myself now.

I did have to work a little because I had my classmate from college come by so we could work on our thesis. I thought I would have time but she came so late and I was going to be late for class. We are doing our thesis about ballet and so we had to observe the comapny class and since it was almost going to start when she arrived I was running up and down the hall with her in my ballet shoes to get the details sorted and it was just a mess but finally I had to push her to come into the studio so we could take pictures and get everything sorted and stuff like that.

The good news about all that was I got to dance a little with the company. A dream come true right? I was so excited and even though I was there for only 10 minutes so I could attend my regular class. It felt so professional and to me the best part was they had a piano guy! Yeah a real life guy playing the ballet music. I know it is such a small detail but I never had a class that had a guy play the music instead of a cassette. It was amazing and a highlight definitely.

So my expereince was that they were so trained and looked amazing. A lot of them didn't wear ballet shoes and they wore a lot of layers and they just looked so professional and just I really wanted to stay and do the class but I didn't want to disrupt. I would of put pictures but I can't because they are for my thesis and there is copyright issues so I couldn't but I do have some for my memories and to add to my scrapbook!

So after we got our pictures and videos I left to go to my regular class and another teacher took class with us but I don't really like her but I had to be at the barre with her and I was just ignoring her. She is young and has the body of a ballerina but doesn't dance there that much anymore. I won't get into why I don't like her but it was just weird having her there.

I also noticed I am not getting corrected anymore and I know that should be a good thing but the teacher is focusing on the other dancers like the ones who are majoring in dance and the ones who will be in the recital. The others like me who are there because it is a hobby aren't getting critique either. I know she should correct the others more but I would like to know if I should do anything better or have anything be done in a certain way. I am hoping it will be over when the recital is over and that will stop her favoritism. I also hope its normal when big shows are coming up but I was always in a class that was going to recital so we would all be prepped. I'll let you know next week if it is the same because if that is the case I would like to change studios if I'm not going to get any good dance training.

Well that was a long one this week! It makes up for my short ones the previous weeks! So as always see you next week!

xo 
Jackie

1 comment:

  1. Not getting corrections can be frustrating. Maybe you can talk to your teacher after class to ask her a specific question, or to ask if she has any suggestions on what you should work on improving. Your class sounds pretty relaxed, like the classes I take, so during barre or center it should be alright to just ask a question before or during the combination. Once you know what to work on, you're going to improve much faster! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!