Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Dance Essentials I Recommend For Starting Again

Since I started ballet again, I wanted to help out those who need advice on what they should wear/have during dance class. These are just my suggestions and what I think about them. I used some of these myself so if you need a personal opinion, here you go!

A Comfortable Leotard |
Of course, the basic leotard is an essential in ballet. One that I recommend for beginners are ones that are comfortable and that are not to revealing. I know if you are a beginner it is scary to show your body especially like me. I wore so many layers that it isn't funny. I recommend a short sleeve leotard that is very basic. I don't think you should go with open backs or criss-cross just yet unless you are okay and comfortable with showing your body. It took me a while when I was in my teens to transfer over and now that I put on some weight I am glad I still have my basic leotards with me.




Tights |
I have had Danskin tights since I started dance. My mom loves the tights and swears by them. I still have the tights and they are in perfect condition. I really love them and they are very comfortable to wear. I love that they are not too pink or not too white and are just the right ballet pink for me. Getting tights you like is very important because you should know if they breathe right and even fit to your liking. 

Wrap Skirt |
Actually any type of short skirt will do. I love these because they cover just right on me and I like that they aren't too long or too short to be so revealing even in a leotard. I choose black because it is basic but if you are required a color than follow that. And make sure if you could wear a skirt in class because some studios might have a dress code. Luckily, mine doesn't have a strict one so I can wear mostly any accessory I want.





Ballet Shoes |
A must in ballet class. I had so many pairs of ballet shoes that I don't know where to store all of them. Finding the right one is going to make your feet extra happy. Remember that ballet shoes might be smaller than your actual size or sometimes bigger than your actual street shoe size. I have pairs that were 2x too small that my street shoes and then the recent pair I bought is 2 sizes smaller than my actual street size. It just depends on the brand I guess. Also make sure you buy the shoe so you can test it in the store. I know I have had my mom get my shoes when I was around 13-14 years old and we ended up getting mad at each other since the shoes never fit me just right. I learned after that to always do it myself or have both of us go.  Just remember that it is your feet and they should be comfortable.

Hope you like and I hope anyone else can suggest something for starting dance!

xo
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!