Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ballet Philippines's Open Rehersal "Zebra"



Last July 6, I was invited by the Artistic Director of the ballet company I work for to watch the open rehearsal of a new choreographed modern dance they will be performing next February. I was really interested and since this was a rare thing I decided to go. So after my ballet class which ended at 4 PM I waited 3 hours to watch this show. I took my 2 Aunts and my niece to the main theater. The dance studio is inside the theater so we didn't have to go far.

When we finally got the tickets we went inside. I was expecting to be seated in the actual seats but there was special seating right on the stage so we get a live and up close view of the dancers. I thought it was neat and a little more personal. It was a pretty nice event if I have to say but I felt a little underdressed. As more and more people came in they were wearing formal clothes while I was in my leotard and tights with only sweats and a t-shirt cover up. I know next time to wear more decent clothes.

The show started and my niece who is 2 almost 3 years old was making some noise and this is kind of late at night for her so I was getting annoyed because I didn't want to get embarrassed because she was the only kid there while the guests were mostly important people. She was pretty good but I still was trying to make her keep quiet. She enjoyed the dancing but when it came to the people who were speaking about the event she wouldn't listen. We were sitting in front of the 2nd cast who will perform on the next night of the actually performance, what was so cute was some of the company members were talking to her and werent annoyed at all. She then yelled that they were amazing when the show was over. So, one of the comapny members took her to meet the cast and she even got a picture with one of them. She even complimeted the principle dancer. She is 2 like I said and they all htough that was the cutest thing.


Enough about my little niece, my thoughts were it was a lovely event. The company introduced new projects and the upcoming performances by the company. The Executive Director also gave a nice speech about new things coming up and what to expect. She explained about the new studio that is in process to improve the quality and invite in more dancers. The Artistic Director introduced the choreographer and his work. This performance and event was technically dedicated to him because he is leaving to go back to France in a couple of days and probably wont see the show in February because he is a company member in France. I also forgot to mention he did a short piece himself and I would have to say it was well done. I love the style and how he really used his body and movements. He is such a great dancer and the piece he choreographed was amazing as well. It was very different and really captured what he was trying to portray in today's society.

I take this as a privileged to be apart and to attend the event. I met some important people and it is definitely a rare and unforgettable experience. 

Zebra is part of one of the dances Ballet Philippines will hold in February 2014 entitled "The Art of Dance" which will be apart of the 44th Season: IllumiNATION." Another performance they will be hosting is Giselle which will open August 16.

*Disclaimer: My thoughts of the event are my own and even though I am affiliated by working with the company this does not affect my thoughts or my opinion about the event. 
*Zebra Poster: Credit to BP's Website
*Picture: My own I took at the event.


xo
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!