Tuesday, June 11, 2013

My Dance History



Today I just wanted to share with you my whole dance history from beginning to I hope another beginning because I hope it won't end yet. I have done so many forms of dance and learned to love all of them.

I started dancing at the age of 3. I was an only child and so I wasn't a very social kid. My mother saw me dancing in front of the TV all the time and when a song I liked on the radio came on. I would always say to her and my dad, "Look, I can dance," And I would twirl around the living room. This is when my mom thought it would be a good idea to get me into dance class. She signed me up for a ballet class and that is when it all started.

I might have liked ballet but being social was still a problem for me. I was very shy and even if I did like dancing at 3 I was still not overcoming anything. I hesitated to dance but I never quit. I enjoyed it and I loved the movements. One day, the parents were invited inside the studio to watch our dance and see how we've improved. I still remember crying and not wanting to dance. Before that though I remember being so excited and picking out my best tutu for the class. I think that was my first time dancing in front of an audience so I guess I was just a little intimidated. My first recital though was a success. I remember even though I was in this huge place that was dark and yet so bright at the same time I remembered to twirl and dance. I might have been shy but I did and it made me feel so proud.

When I turned 4, my mom thought to add tap to the mix. I was already getting used to ballet and I didn't really quite know why she decided to put me in tap too. But now, I thank her. I love tap and it is my favorite to do. I discovered I was better in tap than I was in ballet. I loved that my shoes got to make noise and i wasn't really shy anymore. I was getting used to everything and slowly my stage fright went away. That recital was when I felt confident and so ready. I loved the costume and tap was so much fun.

After that, I moved studios because of a friend's recommendation. I took tap and ballet again and just stuck with that for a few years. I think I lasted 2 years before trying another class. I was getting older and so I made the decision to try jazz. I thought it was different and it looked more dancey than ballet was so I told my mom and she agreed. I tried that and continued on with it.

When I got to be 11 I got picked to be in the performing line of the dance studio. This was very prestigiuos and it was an honor for me to be in it. This was like a company dance role so when I found out I was thrilled and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was so excited when I got my contract and I read that thing from page to page. When I got my costume I was so happy and that was when it all sort of became real for me. I was doing great in dance and even though I was still intimadated at times during performance this was my life.

I got extra shows in recitals and other performances. Both my ballet and tap were improving and I was both a company member for both. The tap group had a name called "Tip Tap Toe" I thought it was so unique and I wanted to reach all the levels which were 3. I was starting out at the basic but it was my dream to go higher.

During that I decided to take hip hop because during our last recital I saw him perform and really wanted to try it so I did. I found out I wasn't really good at it and during class I would do tap and ballet movements more than I should. I was told to relax and it wasn't a proper dance but a fun and let go kind of dance. I took a year and a half of that I think.


After 2 years of that I was ready for the next level. I had mastered and practiced every move there was and was ready to do it all. When I found out I wasn't allowed on pointe for another year I decided to take a year off ballet and focused on tap. I still loved ballet and wanted to do more but I was so disappointed I couldnt get on pointe. I got to the advance level of my tap class which was good but I found out I wasn't getting promoted in the performing line either. ALl my dreams were not coming true and this made me sad. I worked so hard on this and even though I was now an advance tap dancer I wasn't getting a promotion to be in the next level of the tap company. I was sad and I decided that was going to be my last year there. I was there for 5 years and my mom said just stick it out till the end.

I had so many fun experiences with that company and so many opportunities. I got to perform places and go to competitions I never dreamed of doing and knowing that wasn't going to be happening anymore made it so much worse. I made so many friends and so many memories through that company.

My last recital and performance with that studio was very emotional for me. First off, I would be leaving behind so many good things and I got so used to everything and everyone. This was the first recital which I was old enough to share a dressing room with my fellow company dancers. I was always stuck in the green room with everyone else but that year I had my own light up mirror and chair and even a rack with my name to put my costumes on. I had 8 numbers that recital and it was hard since I had to change and run out there every 10 minutes. During the intermission, I was called by the owner of the studio and she apologized but couldn't do anything. She was the one who made all the decisions so I was really upset with her. She gave me a hug and after that I had to go on for my last dance. For our last curtain I felt really emotional. Usually I always did in the past but since it was the last I think I actually cried a little. When the show was over and I had to pack up my things I stayed in the dressing room after saying by to all my friends. I felt like it was my last time to do this and I just felt so bad. I took the summer off and since I just graduated from elementary I decided to just have a break for the summer months.

I had just entered junior high and I was so scared to. I didn't have a dance escape like i did before so it was new to me. After talking with a friend I begged and I mean begged my mom to let me be in that dance school. It was a 45 minute drive from our place which was pretty far but my parents finally agreed and I went. There I just took tap since that was what I was accelerating most in. I thought it was best for me since I didn't want the stress of so many classes like I did the previous year. It was a new dance academy and so I wanted to take it easy. I stayed for 2 years there and since we were in the process of moving to a new city anyways I just took a few classes.

At the new city I took a little time off. I admit it was probably bad but I think I only took 6 months off. I was enjoying school for the first time and I had friends and such a good school year. I was in 8th grade and I wanted to do what a normal 14 year old did which didn't involve dancing and training which took up all my time. I did go back and when I found a studio close by my house I felt relief. It was good getting back though. Since that time off I really missed the dancing and the hours of training. My muscles were a little sore but I got through it. I took tap again and this time I tried lyrical. I really enjoyed both of them and I really wanted to go to the recital but I didnt make the cut off time. I was some what realived yet bummed but my parents had other news for me.

So that pretty much sums up my dance history and what I've done. I will continue the rest and what I did when I was 15 up until now in another post since this one is way too long anyways. I have another post with why I quit dancing so that will clarify things up after this point.

I hope you enjoyed and learned a little about what I have done. Maybe you took the same classes as I did or have a similar story like me. If you do please leave it below and I'd love to know. So, thanks for reading.

*weheartit

xo
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!