Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dance Diary | My First Class!


I did it! I actually did it! I took my first dance class again after 5 years!

I am over the moon right now and just so happy. I cannot believe I did it though.

So the night before I couldn't really sleep and I knew that was bad for me because for one I had to get up early to head to the dance company for my internship and two because the class was at 3 in the afternoon and that would be the time I start losing it and feel the most tired. But I did get a good night sleep in the end and woke up refreshed. When I did get up fully I started having a stomach ache and I have no idea why. I didnt eat or drink coffee and just left after I got everything together.

If you didnt know I work for a ballet company. I am an intern there and that inspired me to get back into dance and most importantly ballet. So when I got there I went up to my best friend who is also the registrar of the dance school. She was the first friend I made there. I enrolled myself and she was so happy for me because I finally did after all these months I've been complaining to her that I miss it. SHe was the one who really convinced me and I really thank her for it. After I got all signed up, I had to work with her in the dance shop. SInce it was the 2nd week of the new dance school year a lot of moms were buying their daughters leotards and tights. I handled that 'till about 12:30 until I went for lunch.

I was counting down the hours 'till class and I kept asking Jacque (we have the same name which is so funny and cool) questions about the class and was helping her enroll more students. I kept listening in to see if any of my classmates were going to be coming to the front desk but there was no luck. I kept busy until 2:30 and tried to keep my mind on maintaing the dance shop.

When it was time for me to get dressed I got to use the artistic director's dressing room because I was an empolyee there which was great because I didn't have to travel 2 flights of stairs to get to a changing room. Once I put everything on I remembered how hard it was to put tights on and to get it to fit perfectly and how you want it on your body. After I got that done I was all dressed and I felt amazing to be dressed as a ballerina again. Words cannot describe how good and confident I felt when I was dressed like that.

When it was time for class that is when my nervousness and fear came back. I didn't feel ready and felt so shy and scared unlike my previous happy state I was a few minutes ago. Jacque talked me through it pushed me but the public relation guy came down and requested me to plan an event for the upcoming production the company was having. I was glad that Jacque told him I had class and I would do it next Saturday or email him the details during the week. I was also glad he wasn't mad and encouraged me to do it.

I knew the teacher because I have been working there for a couple of months. The worst part was that she was the school principal of the whole dance school and was very strict. I was even more nervous when I found out she was going to be teaching the class permenently. I sucked it up though and hugged Jacque for good luck.

I put on my ballet shoes and took deep breaths. We warmed up for about 5 minutes because we are now advised to be warmed up and limber before her class which will be hard for me since I don't have much time before the class because I am working there also. Next time though I am definitely taking the hour off to get ready and warmed up.

We did most things at the barre which was good because I always liked the barre routines. When she taught the steps I was glad I got them right away. I really thought I was going to do terriable and I prepared myself for it but I shouldn't really think negatively like I do cause it turned out fine. I did have a hard time with my ankle a couple times but it didn't bother me much when I started to move it more.

The proudest thing though was I didn't get many corrections to straighten out my foot or anything. I really thought I would be the one always getting yelled at for doing something wrong but it was the girl in front of me. I also got complmented of my turnout and I have good arches. I was told when I was going to start pointe at 11 that I had "Flinstone Feet" and I could never go en pointe. I was probably too young and my arches weren't formed that well yet. If the teacher had told me I was too young then I would have understood. But when our teacher said that I had pretty good arches that made me so excited that maybe one day I could reach my dream and go en pointe.

The class was pretty simple and I actually enjoyed being back. I know they say don't worry and it will be fine in the end and I can say it is true. It was a good hour workout and I was surprised I wasn't out of breath so easily. I actually did it and wasnt a bag full of sweat. I was sweaty but I was worried I would just be pouring buckets but I didnt and I was so glad. It is a good workout for me and I'll continue.

After class I headed back to the office with the teacher and she asked if I was going to continue and I said yes. I am sticking with this no matter what. Once in the office the staff were asking if I took a class and I nodded and it felt good saying that I took a class and was back to dancing. 

So overall my class was good and I am glad to be back. I know why I quit a few years back because it is so displined and strict but since I have background I know I won't quit so easily anymore. I am going to stick through this and I will get to my dream of going en pointe and becoming a ballerina again.

I hope you enjoyed my story of my first ballet class. Also please tell me if you were nervous to like I was so I don't feel like such a loser for being so worried. I'll update about my class again next week. 

xo 
Jackie

4 comments:

  1. I hope you will continue dancing and reach your ultimate goal (as it is for so many other ballerinas out there) pointe work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I really hope I can go en pointe in the future!

      Delete
  2. Keep dancing! Glad I found you via Twitter!
    Kristen @ AdultBallerinaProject.coom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and I love your blog!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! You make my heart do pirouettes!